Wednesday 15 August 2018

Emily Beatrice - Seventeen Year Old???

A quick recap ...

I have been searching for my Great Great Grandmother, Emily Beatrice Merton.
When she married my Great Great Grandfather Ernest Ingpen, their marriage entry stated that she was 22 years of age.  She was married in 1876, so ... in theory that meant she was born in 1854.     I have searched for a very long time...  So, here are the options;

(1) That is not her real name
(2) That is not her real age, or
(3) Her Parents never got around to registering her, apparently birth registration was "patchy".

I've been using the GRO site, in England (the General Registry Office). 
Today I found an entry for  Emily Beatrice Martin, born in 1859.

MARTIN, EMILY  BEATRICE  WEEKS  Order
GRO Reference: 1859  J Quarter in ISLINGTON  Volume 01B  Page 193

Is this her ?  Is Martin a misprint ? Or did she alter her name slightly.   What's more, a 17 year old bride ? posing as a 22 year old ?
Nah surely not.  The GRO registration listed the Mother's maiden name as.... wait for it ... WEEKS.  not days, Weeks! 😜👫  Okay maybe not that funny.   There are some other options as well...

MURTON, EMILY    CATON  Order
GRO Reference: 1856  M Quarter in DUNMOW UNION  Volume 04A  Page 340

MARTON, EMILY    CLARKE  Order
GRO Reference: 1855  M Quarter in REIGATE UNION IN THE COUNTY OF SURREY  Volume 02A  Page 107

WEEKS, CATON and CLARKE are all Mother's maidens name, I searched those names among my DNA test and well wouldn't you know it I have matches with  with all 3 names.  I have Weeks matches, Caton matches etc. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Emily Beatrice - Seventeen Year Old???

A quick recap ... I have been searching for my Great Great Grandmother, Emily Beatrice Merton. When she married my Great Great Grandfathe...